Thursday, March 12, 2009

THURSDAY

Last night was quite the night. After finally getting Ben to bed around 11pm I followed suit. An hour later I woke up to a resident doctor shaking my leg, "hell0? I need you to wake up...hello?". When I finally got my bearings, the resident proceeded to inform me that he was really concerned with Ben's blood pressure and heart rate. At first I wanted to roll my eyes and crawl back under the covers because Ben generally has low blood pressures and heart rates at night - it's just his thing. But...when I heard HOW low it was, I decided maybe I'll join in on the party in his room. They gave Ben 3 boluses of IV fluid within 30 minutes totaling 1000mls. They rubbed his face and spoke to him trying to wake him up. (I think he was rolling his eyes under his sleepy lids too) Cap gases and arterial blood were drawn, (that certainly got his attention) and the crash carts were brought in with drugs kept close by along with talks of art lines being put in that finally convinced Ben that maybe he should wake up and let them know that he was just fine. I was grateful for his quiet communication because it meant that the lights could finally go out again and that we both could continue our not-so-restful slumber that comes with being in the hospital. :)

5 comments:

LL said...

Oh Becky and Ben....i cannot believe how eventful this trip to Utah has been. Thinking of you guys and keeping you both (and the rest of the family back home) in my prayers!!!!
No more joking around Ben, time to get better and come back home...

shirlgirl said...

Poor little guy. Glad he finally opened his eyes just to let them know he was o.k. to a point. He was probably in a dead sleep because of everything beforehand. Hope it won't be long before he turns the corner. Love you Benji.

Papa Don's Place said...

We miss all of you back here in NH. Hang in there, Ben, Spring is almost here and things will be a lot easier (and warmer) then.

April said...

Ben...you know how to keep them on their toes! Hope tonight will be more restful! We're crossing our fingers and toes that you'll turn the corner and get some answers!
WE LOVE YOU

Jo Jo said...

Did they remember you were up two day not sleeping?